DTx is looking for a senior data scientist to integrate its Data Science and Machine Learning (DSML) Group, within the project “BE.Neutral – Mobility Agenda for carbon neutrality in cities” (no. C644874240-00000016), financed by Business Innovation – Innovation Pact, within the call no. 02/C05-i01/2022 of PRR – Plano de Recuperação e Resiliência.
The BE.Neutral Agenda is promoted by a partnership between cities, the industry and the scientific and technological system, integrating the entire value chain of the sustainable mobility sector: automotive industry, energy operators, data and communication operators, and specialized service providers. The leader of the Agenda is NOS Comunicações, which is articulated with a set of reputed work package leaders: Caetano Bus, Simoldes Plásticos, CEiiA, Toyota Caetano, Iberica, EDP Inovação, and Siemens Portugal. This Agenda aims at positioning the Portuguese cities and the industry in the future of mobility and of a new generation of products and services oriented towards carbon neutrality, having a transformational effect on the economy, the environment and society.
Within this project, you will:
– Contribute to define, set up and carry out data collection protocols on low-cost shared electric vehicles, in close collaboration with DTx’s partners;
– Analyze the collected data and extract the most value from it, towards an efficient maintenance and operation of the vehicles;
– Propose and build novel predictive models that are simultaneously informed by expert knowledge and data-driven;
– Use a wide range of data science methods, mainly but not exclusively on time series data: pattern recognition, supervised classification and regression, anomaly detection;
– Work proactively both individually and within a multidisciplinary team to reach the project goals.
More broadly, as a researcher in the DTx DSML group, you will:
– Develop prototypes and proofs-of-concept using state-of-the-art methods in DS and ML;
– Conduct data preparation, exploratory data analysis and feature engineering;
– Find suitable ways to represent data and produce informative visualizations;
– Assess whether to use an ML algorithm for addressing a problem, and choosing the most adequate one(s);
– Define and run training experiments and hyperparameter optimization;
– Communicate results within the team and to the associates in written and oral forms;
– Produce scientific publications from the results of the projects.
– MSc or PhD in a quantitative field: mathematics, statistics, physics, computer science, electrical or electronic engineering, computer engineering, or similar;
– 3+ years of relevant post-MSc professional experience (can be PhD);
– Experience handling data: preparation, exploratory analysis, feature extraction, visualization;
– Experience with machine learning and knowledge of the basic concepts: classical algorithms, bias and variance, loss functions, gradient descent, regularization, etc.;
– Experience programming in Python, familiar with numpy and pandas;
– Experience using at least one of the following: scikit-learn, Tensorflow/Keras, PyTorch;
– Autonomy and critical thinking.
The following will be considered a plus for this position:
– Experience in research, particularly in mobility-related projects, especially on road vehicles;
– Experience with inertial data from IMUs;
– Experience with gas sensors;
– Some knowledge of mechanical engineering, in particular automotive.
About DTx: Digital Transformation CoLab DTx carries out its activity of applied research in the areas related to digital transformation.
DTx consists of the following associated members: Accenture; Bosch Car Multimedia; Cachapuz-Bilanciai; CEiiA – Centro de Engenharia e Desenvolvimento de Produto (Centre of Engineering and Product Development); Celoplás; DSTgroup; Aernnova Portugal; IKEA; INL – Laboratório Ibérico Internacional de Nanotecnologia (International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory); Mobileum; NOS; Cegid Primavera; Simoldes; TMG Automotive; Universidade Católica Portuguesa; University of Évora; University of Minho; and two affiliated members: CCG – Centro de Computação Gráfica (Center for Computer Graphics) and PIEP – Polo de Inovação em Engenharia de Polímeros (Innovation Centre in Polymer Engineering).
DTx aims to be a reference player in the scope of digital transformation and focuses its research on the intersection of physical, digital and cybernetic domains, with the purpose of creating the next generation of advanced cyber-physical systems.
Application: Submission of the CV and Degree Certificates to the address firstname.lastname@example.org, up to 10/11/2023, indicating in the subject: DTx/105/2023.